Sunday, April 11, 2010

My little Introduction...

Before I begin to share my experience in Ghana, I would like to express my utmost gratitude to the Gilman Scholarship Program and my University, University of Massachusetts Amherst, who have greatly contributed financially to my being on this study abroad program. Students should therefore utilize the opportunities the Gilman Scholarship Program has to offer, because we are all aware of the fact that a shortage of funds (especially when you are in a foreign country) can serve as a major predicament.

I have been in Ghana for about three months and I didn’t know how to begin to write about my experience. I was overwhelmed by the change of weather, diet and environment. I just seemed not to be able to motivate myself to do anything productive. I wouldn’t say I was culturally shocked… I just wasn’t able to focus for the longest time. To begin with, I had so much free time that I didn’t even know what to do with myself. I have always been accustomed to working part-time while in school, but it was rather difficult to secure a job here. I also repeatedly fell sick… My illnesses ranged from fevers, migraines to food poisoning of some sort. Overtime, I have adjusted well to my environment. I then decided to volunteer to teach at a private primary school. It was a very interesting experience. The students were very excited, co-operative and readily available to learn whatever I had to teach them. My classes at University of Ghana, Legon, have been going great, and I am learning the native language ‘Twi’. It’s funny that when people realize you can speak their language, they treat you like one of their own, and not a foreigner. For example, if you want to board a cab to a specific destination, the cab driver could initially charge you 10 Ghana Cedis, but if you asked him in Twi, he would reduce the charge up to about 4 Ghana Cedis. The conversation could look like this:

Twi (English)
Passenger: Droba Maakye (Driver, Good morning)
Driver: Yaanua. Wo ho te s(e)n? (Good morning. How are you doing?)
Passenger: Onyame adom me ho ye (By God’s grace, I am fine)
Driver: Na worek(o) he? (Where are you going?)
Passenger: Mepaaky(e)w merek(o) kurom. Metua s(e)n? (Please I am going to town. How much will I pay?)
Driver: Wob(e)tua 8 Ghana Cedis (You will pay 8 Ghana Cedis)
Passenger: Mepaaky(e)w te so (Please reduce it)
Driver: Ma me 5 Ghana Cedis (Give me 5 Ghana Cedis)
Passenger: Mepaaky(e)w. mema wo 3 Ghana Cedis (Please let me pay 3 Ghana Cedis)
Driver: Yoo, mate. Tena ase na y(e)nk(o). (Fine I agree. Sit down and let’s go)
Passenger: Yoo, medaase (Fine, Thank you).

I have had the opportunity of visiting some very beautiful places in Ghana. For example, the national park at Mole (northern region of Ghana), Elmina castle (in Cape Coast), Volta region, Kumasi, Kintampo Waterfalls, Aburi botanical gardens, etc. Why don’t you follow me as we explore the beauty of Ghana…

No comments:

Post a Comment